Sunday, November 06, 2005

More on Evangelism

Got this comment to the picture I posted on Friday,
Oh my that is awesome!! I must say that that is exactly what I am preaching on this sunday. I am trying to reclaim Evangelism as Respectivly sharing and proclaiming God. I am trying to get the congregation to move past the pushy, arrogrant, in your face converting everyone Evangelism that has given Evangelims a horrible name! Thanks!Kelley Dick

I guess for me i have seen too much of this 'type' of evngelism - in fact i have been on the recieving end of it several times especaily in my days as a Goth. I remeber the first time I walked into church - it was like being surrounded by vampires the way they all pounced.

The crazy thing is evangelism is not that hard - Not that hard for Jesus followers to take their part anyway- I think once you start to respect everyone as being people who are created in God's Image, drop the whole church speel, treat people with respect, and don't use high church or even Christian language then most people are happy to talk.
I had lunch with my wife and her friends at polytech the other day, and not only did the convesation we have on our table end up on matters of faith, but so did the table next to us. How did it happen, well they asked me what i do for a living - s0 i told them and left it at that - two minutes later the questions start. i always find the best response in usualy a minimal but friendly response - and then answer what they really want to know. so LOrd Jesus please protect THESE people form the followers of yours who would seek to condemn, condone and prove themsleves right, but bring along your followers that will listen engage and show your love.
hope the sermon went well Kelly...

3 comments:

Jono2005 said...

Thought you might like this site, and its comments. Just comments on the fact that we have "professional Christians" who see themselves with a very defined role, interesting comments as well.

http://www.mmiblog.com/monday_morning_insight_we/2005/11/dear_god_please.html

Jono2005 said...


sorry, click here

Mich said...

Love it. Sounds like my sort of Church - but then they might not welcome me.... A few years back I told a bunch of young people who turned up at our church to go home, I explained to them why and they actualy took it really well - so well in fact they decided to start their own youth ministry in their home church...