Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Mission Shaped…. Liturgy part one

When you think about it you would rarely associate prayer book liturgy with mission, particularly in the Anglican Church, yet the more I read about the history of the Anglican Church as a movement (I am not sure whether the word denomination fits) the more is see mission as a driving force in it's shape. One thing that strikes me in particular is the dismissal - Go now to love and serve the Lord. Go in peace. Amen. We go in the name of Christ

I attended a church where the leader said this from the back – not the front and was the first to exit – it really hit me – to go in the name of Christ is call to mission to love the world to serve out lord and to go in God's shalom (peace). It's not last order at a bar but a serious call for God's gathered people to scatter, to take the faith with them and live it out.

It's a nice place to finish – but its' also a great place to (re)start.

No comments: