Thursday, July 19, 2007

360 degree leader


Just picked up a new book by John C Maxwell, If like me you have always enjoyed his thinking but find yourslef in the situation that says, "well that's great but I am not the leader," then this is for you. It's about developing influence from anywhere in the organization. In fact as I reflect on what he has written and soem personal experience I am starting to think that maybe standing at the top of an organisation is not the best place to provide influence.
I particuarly found the sections of leadership myth's helpful and encouraging:
Myth #1 The Position Myth: "I can't lead if I am not at the top."
Myth #2 The Destination Myth: "When I get to the top, then I'll learn to lead."
Myth #3 The Influence Myth: "If I were on top, then people would follow me."
Myth #4 The Inexperience Myth: "When I get to the top, I'll be in control."
Myth #5 The Freedom Myth: "When I get to the top, I'll no longer be limited."
Myth #6 The Potential Myth: "I can't reach my potential if I'm not the top leader."
Myth #7 The All-or-Nothing Myth: "If I can't get to the top, then I won't try to lead."

No comments: