Tuesday, November 08, 2005

What ever happened to Narrative sermons?

Just been working on some resources for a Xmas CD, and went through my archive of sermons i Have preached - some of which are on line at - http://www.sermoncentral.com/contributor_profile.asp?ContributorID=3528
Anyway it struck me other than when I speak i cannot remember the last time i heard a narrative sermon.... the region i work in prides itself on exegetical sermons but some topics are better of experienced with your 'shoes off' or narratively than being exegeted - i think the christmas story is a prime example, in fact the whole gospel should I think be explored first with your 'shoes off' and then exegeticaly. I don't know, I grew up in a Catholic church where the Christmas story was constanlty exegeted and there is only so much you can say, Narrative approaches where by are no means perfect do seek to engage the hearer with the story and when done well just seem to achive more - that has certainly been my experience anyway.

Come all you people in Church leadership let's hear some narrative sermons this Christmas.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I was simply cruising the net searching for information on the dangers of the pharmaceutical industry. Your site caught my interest when I was looking for newsletter, so I had to take a peak. Even though I am unclear (right now) if your site is exactly what I am looking for, I'm still glad I stopped by. Great post! Thank you for your site!