Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Rites of passage

One of my 'hobbies' over the last few years - particularly because I am working as part of a church that has them is looking at the idea and ideology of rites of passage, in particular baptism and confirmation. Today i had coffee with a guy who is involved in a group that is developing and running initiation rites and rites of passage for youth and adults. It was interesting for many reasons but the similarities in the issues were glaringly obvious, he was coming from more of a New Age/universal truth direction, while I am hoping that i come from a more Christian/ church tradition approach. I believe we can glean and learn from what this group have discovered. I came away quite excited about some possibilities thoughts and issues that this group have encountered. But i guess also what excites me is a recognition that the the Spirit of God is alive and well and blowing where he/she/it chooses too.

No comments: